You may want to create recurring invoices which will automatically send on a schedule to your customers. Designed to be easily automated, recurring invoices can be sent weekly, monthly, or at any other frequency you need so that customers who purchase a recurring service or product can make their continuing payments.
Step 1: How To Create a Recurring Invoice
- Click “New” on the All or Recurring Template page.
- Select "New Recurring Template" by clicking on New on either the All Invoices or Recurring Templates page.
- Customize the Frequency Settings to determine how often you want the invoices to be sent.
- You can choose how many days in advance the invoices are sent (for example, if a weekly invoice is due on Mondays, you can send them 2 days in advance so your customer has 48 hours to review.)
Step 2: Viewing Sent Invoices and Payment Status
- Click “Details” under the Template Name to check the status of the recurring invoice series. A popup window will appear in the right panel, showing invoice statuses as sent, overdue, paid, or not sent.
- Here’s a description of what each status means:
- Sent: invoice was successfully sent to the customer
- Overdue: invoice was successfully sent on time but has not been paid by the customer
- Paid: The customer has paid for the invoice
- Not Sent: There was a system error in delivering the invoice to the customer and the invoice needs to be resent.
- NOTE: invoice statuses can also be checked from inside the builder once the recurring template is Scheduled.
Step 3: How to Stop Sending (Cancel) Future Invoices
- Recurring invoices that are active or scheduled may be canceled/stopped from sending out future invoices.
- Select the End option from the Actions dropdown on the Recurring Invoices page, and confirm the message in the popup window.
- Within the builder, you can click the 3-dot dropdown menu to end the recurring invoice too.
- Canceled and Completed invoices can only be deleted if no invoice has been sent to the customer or if the invoice was marked as complete manually.
- Deleted recurring templates are not shown in the standard list view on your Invoices page.
- Price, discount, or taxes cannot be bulk updated for future recurring invoices once you’ve scheduled the recurring invoices. You can individually edit the send-out of a particular invoice in the series, yet you cannot update the default automation as a whole.
- The frequency cannot be edited. For example, if you are sending a series of 10 x weekly invoices and you want to change that to 10 x monthly invoices, you’ll need to cancel/end the weekly series and start a new monthly series.
- One-time and recurring products are eligible for recurring invoices. For recurring products, only the price for the recurring product is used, and the frequency needs to be defined inside the invoice frequency setting. (For example, if you charge $500.00 one-time upfront for a service and then $50.00/month for an ongoing service, the recurring, ongoing $50.00 is eligible for the recurring invoices.